1882 . . . .
A school for children of former slaves is opened at Asbury Chapel Church by Mrs. S.M. Lewis and Mrs. M.C. Bristol of the Atlanta Mission of the Women's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
1885 . . . .
Haven School, named for Bishop Gilbert Haven, is founded.
1912 . . . .
Property sold to the Savannah Board of Public Instruction and a new site is purchased about six miles outside Savannah.
1932 . . . .
Due to its isolated location, small day enrollment and termite infestation, the school closes and merges with Boylan School in Jacksonville, FL.
HAVEN INDUSTRIAL HOME AND SCHOOL --- SAVANNAH, GEORGIA
1886 . . . .
Founded as industrial home by Women's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Takes maiden name of Ann DeGroot, treasurer of the Newark Conference, who gave $1,000 (a sizable sum then) to the home. She hopes to atone for, and change the image of, her family, which had operated two large plantations.
1901 . . . .
Establishes nurse training department, which later becomes Brewster Hospital, then Methodist Hospital.
1932 . . . .
Merges with Haven School of Savannah, GA.
1933 . . . .
Becomes a junior-senior high school noted for home economics and music.
1959 . . . .
With buildings in disrepair, the school, located at 1214 Jessie Street, merges with Mather Academy in Camden, SC.
BOYLAN SCHOOL--- JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA
Boylan-Haven-Mather Academy NATIONAL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION